Monday, October 24, 2011

The Need to Read...and Pray!

German theologian Karl Barth is credited with saying that Christians should read the Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other. In a 1963 interview with Time magazine during the cold war, Barth said, "News media is important. I always pray for the poor, the sick, journalists, authorities of the state and the church.  However, as a theologian, I should never be formed by the world around me - neither East nor West. I should make my vocation to show both East and West that we can live without a clash. Where the peace of God is proclaimed, peace on earth is implicit."


My work at World Relief Nashville has changed the way I read news media of today, internet and online news services.  As I meet people from Burma, Nepal, Eritrea, and Somalia, I am eager to learn about the countries from which they come. Recalling this quote of Barth's, I decided that each week of my internship, I will read and pray about the news of the UN refugee agency. Today there was a story about the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Somalia and how it has forced almost 320,000 Somalis to flee their country so far this year. While the majority of Somalis seek refuge in neighboring Kenya and Ethiopia, many Somalis head northwards to embark on a dangerous sea journey across the Gulf of Aden to Yemen. This year 20,000 Somalis have arrived in Yemen's reception centres bringing with them stories of drought, famine, war and slavery that caused them to flee Somalia.
And so I pray this news with this prayer,

O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, today I pray for Somalis who have been uprooted from their homes. I pray for all those who must flee for their lives, who leave their land and culture often to live apart from their families.  I mourn their losses of dignity, community, resources and employment. I especially ask that you be with the women and children who are the majority of those displaced. Please be with those women who have been assaulted and brutalized on their journey and those who have lost children to sickness and hunger.  I pray for the Somalis who even though they survive the journey to Kenya, Ethiopa, and Yemen, their lives are scarred by danger, war, exploitation, drought, famine and desperate poverty.  God of mercy and compassion, you promise to meet us on the way and abide with us always. Help World Relief to stand with the most vulnerable, our sisters and brothers who simply desire a chance to survive and prosper in their home countries.  When there is no such chance or when it is painfully slow in coming, help us inspire and guide your church to act with compassion, care and commitment so as to be the tent in which all your children can be restored to your loving presence and safe shelter.  Amen.

Caren is a student at Vanderbilt University Divinity School currently interning with World Relief Nashville for the 2011-2012 academic year.